Am I too Emotional?

Monday, May 25, 2015


No. 
There is no such thing as being too emotional. Being emotional means that you know how to feel, which is a good thing. We are often taught that showing emotion is a form of weakness and it makes you vulnerable. I have come to realize that emotion is a strength. By allowing yourself to feel, you give yourself the ability to grow. I recently read an article that I found linked on Alina Ermilova's blog, which led me to a page called The EveryGirl. The writer of the blog made a post called "Stop Saying You're Fine." This really caught my attention because it's something I do a lot of. I tend to keep a lot of things to myself because I don't want to come across as "too emotional" or "overly sensitive." This only leads me to hurt myself. I hold a lot back because I think that by hiding my emotions and some how ignoring them the other person won't get hurt. As much as the other person's feelings are important, your own feelings are even more important. If you have something to say - say it. Don't hold things back because you think that you'll make your self appear vulnerable or dramatic. By recognizing that you are in fact hurting, upset, angry, or even jealous you can work to fix the issue. I went through a time when any emotion that I had I kind of just brushed off and ignored. If I was upset, I would tell myself that I wasn't. If I wanted to cry, I told myself that I didn't. If I was angry, I told myself that it was foolish. By doing all of this I made myself emotionless. I denied myself of feeling and for a while I felt emotionally numb. I would go through my day feeling like there was nothing there; I don't know how to describe the feeling, but I just felt so empty inside. 

Earlier this year I attended a Presentation on Shame by Troy Love at my college. He mentioned that in today's society/culture we have become shameful of our feelings. We are taught that feeling a certain way can be wrong and therefore feel that we can’t talk to others about it. We eventually get to the point where we don't allow ourselves to feel because we "want to be like everybody else." What is "like everybody else" really though? We only know what we see on the outside, we don't actually know who that person is. Sure they may seem fine and happy, but does that really mean that they don't experience emotion as much as you do? 

Moral of the story is don't brush off your emotions. Acknowledge the fact that you are feeling a certain way and let yourself feel that. Otherwise you just kind of drown yourself in emotion until one day you just explode. Which really can't be healthy. Being able to feel is part of mental health, so be kind to yourself and work towards making yourself a happier you :) 


Do you guys often find yourself resisting your emotions? or telling yourself that what you are feeling is silly and no one would really care? because if you do. Please know that I care! I may not know you but your mental and physical health is very important to me. If you ever need someone to listen, please feel free to contact me or reach out to someone you trust. 

"People cry, not because they're weak. It's because they've been strong for too long" - Johnny Depp

"The Reason we suffer from our emotion is not because of the emotion itself, but because of our resistance to that particular emotion"- Teal Swan

xoxo,
Crystal 

22 comments:

  1. Lovely read, great post!

    littleladyzahra.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Telling yourself or someone else that you're not feeling something when you really are is potentially dangerous to yourself. You have to let the emotions out in a constructive, safe way in order to truly rid yourself of the feeling and grow as a person. I loved reading this, great job :)

    Brooke | brookewrote

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more! It's very important that we don't just try to bottle everything up; talking things through really can make a difference. Thank you Brooke :)

      Delete
  3. Well written Crystal! We completely agree. Fortunate for us we have one another. Talking to friends and family always helps

    M + K
    Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)! I couldn't agree more! Glad to hear you guys can go to one another, friendships and family are a true blessing :D

      Delete
  4. YES!! THIS post is bloody brilliant and very well written! :D I'm going to have to share this in my March Favourites post!. Feeling numb is horrible and it's so important to truly express and feel what we feel, it's a part of what makes us human. Thank you Crystal for talking about your experience with this and writing this! <3
    http://rainbow-roseblossom.blogspot.co.nz/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? :D Thank you so much Rainbow-Rose :) I agree! feelings and emotions make us human and we shouldn't try to hide that or feel shameful of it. I am very passionate about this topic so I'm really glad that you enjoyed it <3

      Delete
  5. Nobody is too emotional, we have to express our opinion because if not the other persons can gues what we are thinking or feeling. Great post, you have short age but you write very well and interesting words. Sorry if some sentences or words are wrong, but I´m Spanish hahaha. I love your blog because you told thinks I have already lived, can we follow back each other? tell me please ;)
    Kisses from Spain, have a nice day =)
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly,I couldn't agree more! Thank you so much :'D That means a lot to me <3 It's okay :) I actually speak Spanish so you can feel free to write in Spanish and I'll reply back to you :) I just checked out your blog and will definitely be following :) I love the message you are trying to send <3

      Delete
  6. I was never an emotional person, then I had kids and it all changed lol

    RachelShuchatMakeup

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha aww! they bring out the best and worst in you :)

      Delete
  7. "People cry, not because they're weak. It's because they've been strong for too long" - Johnny Depp

    The guy's right!

    Have a great day!
    Anna x
    Pattern Of Taste | Our Youtube channel

    ReplyDelete
  8. I couldnt agree more because I see it as if we do not feel our bad emotions then we do not get such enjoyment out of the good ones.

    Great Post

    becca x

    http://choosinghappyy.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true. Like they say, sometimes you have to see the bad in order to see the good :) Thank you.

      Delete
  9. I totally agree with you. I am one who freely expresses my emotion because it's good to! awesome post...thanks for sharing x

    http://haileylauderdale.blogspot.com
    http://closetofgypsies.tumblr.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes ;) I completely agree, it is very good to be open about your emotions. Thank you so much :)

      Delete
  10. Agree with you, Love this post :D



    would love to know your thoughts on my new post Jadiee'sLittleBlog

    MyLookBook


    Have a nice day

    Jade

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such an important post , I love everything it stands for and it was written perfectly :)

    Love Marianne xxx

    http://myhappybubblexx.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! I think so too, mental health needs to start getting more recognition :)

      Delete

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS