First Year of College - My Experience

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

I've officially finished my first year of college :D I cannot tell you how excited I am! The best part was that I only had to take two final exams! out of my five classes; that is pure happiness I tell you! So of course, I had to celebrate. Once I finished the exam I walked to my car and instantly messaged friends to share my excitement! then I proceeded to blast some music. 


This song is seriously so good!! 
(I'll talk about all my other favorite songs when I talk about this months favorites ;) 


At first I was really scared to start college because I would not only be starting a new school, It was also my first time being away from home. To be honest the college that I attend isn't actually that far from my house, I can honestly get there in about 20-30 minutes. I know it's not that drastic but honestly it's always important to take things one step at a time. People are always in such a hurry to grow up and move on, but I think that it's very important to go at your own pace and whatever you feel most comfortable doing. I'm very family oriented and deal with separation anxiety; meaning that if my mom and dad aren't there, most likely I'm not there. After several nights of non stop thinking and worrying about outcomes, I decided to join the program that my sister was previously in. That program helped pay for schooling but you had to live in the dorms. It wasn't like they wouldn't let you leave; you could go home whenever you wish, but their goal was to help make the students independent and more involved. When you live on campus there really is no reason why you can't get to class; unless you were sick or something but being on campus made it easier to get to class and be more involved in on-campus activities. 

This program really helped me grow and I can safely say that I do not regret taking the opportunity. If there are any programs at the school you attend or will attend, I recommend you look into them and consider it. I guarantee it will make a change in your life :) 



This is what my room looked like at the beginning of the year, things started changing during the year but unfortunately I did not get any pictures of it :( 

As for the dorm life, I met a lot of great and amazing people. I made a lot of new friendships that I hope will last for a really long time. A lot of great memories where made during my time at the dorms that I will cherish forever. They also aren't kidding when they say freshman gain 15 pounds in the first year. Yes, this can be prevented by going to the gym. A lot of colleges/universities offer free membership to the gym for residents. So if it's free for you definitely take it up, I personally did not last because of my lack of motivation haha. At first I was really into it and would go with my roommate all the time, but eventually we just stopped going. We tried to pick the habit back up a couple of times, but we failed. The reason the freshman 15 is very-very much real is because it's your first time being away from home where you aren't getting home cooked meals. You also end up eating a lot of junk food when you don't have time to go to the cafeteria. 

This is a picture from one of our shopping trips. Very healthy snack choices as you can see haha.

My favorite part about the campus was walking past the isle of palm tree's on the way to class. Let's not forget how amazing the sky looked there! Sunsets and sunrises where amazing!!


At night my roommate and I would take walks at around midnight when everyone was either gone from school or in their dorms. It's probably one of my favorite moments at the college. We would just walk around campus like 10 times and do circles at the round about. Then when the sprinklers would go off we'd run through them. It was so thrilling and cold! 


During my first year I was also able to attend several trips to universities and dances. We even got to attend a leadership conference in New Mexico! (If you guys are interested in hearing about my trip to NM i'd be happy to share it :) It was the best part of the entire year :D and this upcoming week we are taking a 3 day trip (which you can expect a post about).

What I love most about college is the flexible hours! You can basically make your own schedule. For example, next year I'll only have school on Tuesday and Thursday. I'll probably end up really hating those days, but at least I'll have more free time to get a job and work on homework. I will still be taking 4 classes which is full time. On Tuesday I'll have Graphics from 9:25-12:05, Journalism from 12:15-1:30, and Earth Science from 1:40-4:20. Then on Thursday it'll be all the same classes except ill also have film studies from 5:55-8:35p.m. So it's going to be a long day. 


It's impossible to talk about everything that happened. I kind of just talked about little snippets during my time at college. If you have the opportunity to further your education, do it! You'll only ever be able to experience college once. Yeah you can always keep going to school, but there it nothing like getting to experience it now. If you are worried about going into debt, there are so many scholarships out there! Even if you don't think you qualify for it; apply, because a lot of times no one ever does and that money just goes to waste. Believe me there are people out there who are willing to give you their money, and since no one knows about it, no one is getting them. There is also financial aid that is available to students! You don't have to go into debt to get a higher education, you just have to look for opportunites. If you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer them. 

What else would you guys like to know? What was/is your experience like? Make sure to let me know :) 

"Education is the passport to the future, for tomorrow belongs to those who prepare for it today." 

xoxo,
Crystal 

16 comments:

  1. I've just finished my first year too, isn't is soo bittersweet! Walking around campus at night sounds like so much fun! Loved reading this post :) x
    Freya's Fashion Chapter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!! it makes you feel so accomplished :D but at the same time it's a little sad and scary haha. It is, if you ever get the chance to you should go on a walk at night, it makes exercising seem fun. Thank you so much :)<3

      Delete
  2. I really enjoyed this post! And I love the way your dorm looked! I'm also the type of person who gets separation anxiety so I'm with ya there! Also, that picture of the palm trees is BEAUTIFUL! I actually commuted to my university and at first, I hated it. I almost dropped out. But at second year, I gave it another chance and learned to really like it and made some great friends.

    ~Lor @ lovelyandcozy.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lor :) I wish I would have taken more recent pictures of my dorm room, the pictures above where from my first day there so eventually more stuff started coming in haha (especially an overwhelming amount of Starbucks cups). It's really hard not being able to do something because there's this strong feeling that literally just keeps you from doing it even if you really want to, right? :( Thank you :D I took it on my way back from the library; I couldn't resist! I mean the sky was pink and blue!! I'm glad you didn't quit :D it's a really great experience and you get to have fun while you work towards a better future ;)

      Delete
  3. I still have to go through finals and then I too will finish the first year of college. It was a great experience so far and I like that it's more care-free and you are not obliged to go to every class... I think it's great compared to high school. Great post.

    LEJA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right! I think that too :D and it is! I love the atmosphere at college. The great thing about not being obligated to go is that if you can't make it to class; your not questioned like you were in High School. Thank you :) and Good Luck! on your finals :)

      Delete
  4. That program sounded really good for you! College sounds so much better than high school with the flexible hours, I can't wait to go to college. The photos in your blogpost are amazing, I love them x

    itseverythingerin.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lot of fun :) I'll let you in on a little secret (college is way better then high school). I can't wait for you to experience it either! Just remember college doesn't have to be hard, you just have to know how to manage your time wisely and make sure to not procrastinate on your homework (I speak from experience lol). Thank you :)

      Delete
  5. Running through sprinklers in the middle of the night sounds like so much fun!!! Wild and free is the way to be! Totally agree when it comes to doing things one step at a time and at your own pace, leaving home is such huge, scary and exciting change. Would love to hear about your leadership conference trip in New Mexico! Great post Crystal! :)
    http://rainbow-roseblossom.blogspot.co.nz/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is :D haha moments like those make me want to do more adventurous things! Thank you :) You can definitely expect a post on it soon :D

      Delete
  6. I also just finished my first year at college! I can so relate to this post. I'm also only going to have classes on Tuesday and Thursday next year, which is crazy because I had it every day this year. I can't wait to go back, though. My happiest times have been on campus at school, and I miss my friends so much.

    Brooke | brookewrote

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's kind of crazy thinking about how far we've come. You get to go to visit your grandparents now right? That'll be a lot of fun :) Me too! :D it's kind of nice though that we'll have a lot more free time. I know how you feel! Hopefully you guys keep in touch and when you guys see each other again it'll be like nothing has changed :)

      Delete
  7. I hope your finals went well!!! high-fives to finishing finals :)
    I'm glad you decided to dorm and experience life at your own pace. There is this beautified view of growing up but really, college is such a unique experience. when else can you live in a dorm?! :)

    xoxo
    smudged-fingerprints.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *High fives* :D It always gets so hectic towards the end of the year, I'm just so relived that it's finally over. Exactly, I'm glad that I took up the opportunity. I hope you did well on your finals as well :)

      Delete
  8. I'm very excited to go to University! I've always been very independent so I'm looking forward to moving out and Uni. I'd love to hear about your trip to New Mexicol!!

    Jess
    http://springbaby06.blogspot.com
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's actually really great! I think some independence should be taught before leaving school, as it makes it a little easier to leave the comfort of your own home:) I think you'll really like Uni, do you already know which one you want to attend? ... :D Yay! i'll be posting about it soon :)

      Delete

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS