"The Unwritten Rule" and "Eleanor & Park" Book Review

Thursday, July 9, 2015

Hello beautiful people :) 
I would like to start off by admitting that my reviews aren't really reviews but more commentary like. I'm really not the best at reviews because I am so horrible at not spoiling things, but I will try my best not to. I recently finished reading two amazing, amazing books : "The Unwritten Rule" and "Eleanor & Park". Both of these books where read within the course of 2-3 days. I know some can read it in a day, but it usually takes me a bit longer because it takes me a while to get into the book enough for me to want to finish it that same day. Nonetheless once I read these books I could not put them down and I wish I had not read them so that I could read them all over again with that same feeling and emotion I did the first time! The Struggle! haha

1. "The Unwritten Rule" - Elizabeth Scott


This book took me a couple of chapters to really get in to, but once I read up to the point where the characters where at a party, I was hooked. Sara and Brianna have been friends for a really long time. Brianna was always the more popular and 'attractive' looking one. Sara was the quiet one who was kind of like the shadow of Brianna. Brianna always got all the boys, leaving sara to be sort of like her "DUFF". Guys who were into and who had been 'heart broken' by Brianna would go to Sara for advice. One day a guy named Ryan; whom Sara had - had a crush on, asks Sara to a school dance. In the end Brianna ends up with Ryan; even though she knew that Sara had a crush on him. Sara being the friend that she is didn't do anything about it. Eventually Sara was forced to hang out with Brianna and her new boyfriend, Ryan. Let's just say one thing lead to another Sara was now forced to choose between her best friend and the guy she liked. 
*WARNING SPOILERS AHEAD*
Here's my comments on this. I didn't like Brianna's character. I felt bad for how her situation at home was, but the way she treated Sara was unacceptable. What Sara did to Brianna was also unacceptable. Brianna and Sara both did things that they should not have done!! but what Brianna did was way worse. Treating Sara like she was nothing was just really messed up. It boiled my blood as I read along and Sara never did anything to really defend herself. I get that she didn't want to hurt Brianna because she really cared about her but she should have said something and not just let Brianna tell her off and belittle her. I was happy that Sara gets her way in the end because it should have been like that since the beginning. It was sad that Brianna and Sara did not end on good terms, but Brianna was a total bitch okay I'm not going to sugar code that because she was!! 


2. "Eleanor & Park" - Rainbow Rowell



I was instantly hooked on this one! I read the first couple of pages and I could not put the book down.  I just loved this book so much!! I loved that it's not your typical love story where the girls falls for the guy. In this case the guy kind of falls more for the girl. I love how imperfect this book is; Eleanor is not your typical lead role character. Eleanor's parents were divorced, she lived with her mother, her mother's husband, and her 5 siblings. When Eleanor moves to a new neighbor hood she is forced to go to a new school. When she gets on the bus she is instantly an 'outcast'. Every seat on the bus had already been taken; Park noticed how scared she looked so he unwillingly told her to sit down next to him. Eleanor knew right away that Park didn't like her... Or did he? ;) 
*WARNING SPOILERS AHEAD*
Okay I just want to talk about how cute Eleanor & Park are!!! I love how they just slowly started falling for each other and I loved how much Park cared for her. Let's fast forward to the end of the book. At first I didn't know how to feel about Eleanor leaving and then completely cutting Park off after he leaves her at her uncles house and especially after all the trouble he has gone through to help her. I mean he wrote to her and she never responded to him and in the end she just sends him a post card!? with three words that make him smile?? that's all the book says, it doesn't even tell you what she says! I threw the book at this moment because I was just so frustrated by the ending!! After I let myself cool down for a bit, I realized that those 3 words were "I miss you" which was their thing. Park was always telling Eleanor how he missed her <3 :'). I now understand that Eleanor did not want to write him back because it hurt too much not knowing if she would be able to return. Being apart from each other was hard on the both of them and even after being apart for a while, their love for each other was as strong as ever! I really wish there was a second part to this book because I really want to see them together again!! 

There you have it :D Another one of my not so review type book reviews haha. I tried to keep things short and without revealing too much. I hope you guys enjoyed :)

Have you read either of these books? What did you think of them? What are some of the books that you've been reading and loving lately?

"Be a voice not an echo"

xoxo,
Crystal 

14 comments:

  1. I've been thinking of reading Eleanor and Park because the story sounds really good! (Although I didn't read your spoilers because I didn't want to ruin it for me if I did read it!) I read Fangirl by the same author and I didn't really enjoy it much so I am a bit unsure but if you really liked it then maybe I will buy it!x

    itseverythingerin.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should!! :D I think it's definitely worth a try. I haven't read fan girl yet, it's actually one of my next books that I am going to read. I've heard so many mixed reviews. There's people who really enjoyed Eleanor & Park and then there's the one's who preferred Fangirl :) So I guess we'll both have to see ;) I hope you have a lovely day Erin x

      P.S. if you do end up reading it, please let me know what you thought of it :D I'd love to hear about it, good or bad <3

      Delete
  2. Ahhhhh ! Eleanor and park is such an amazing book :D I always get so excited when I see it being reviewed because I know that nobody could read that book and not be overflowing with enthusiasm :) I LOVED this review <3 Another book I've loved is called Breaking Butterflies , It's just a stunning book, it takes a while to get into but once you're in you cant get out haha ! I would recommend it to anybody :)

    lots of love, Marianne xxx

    http://myhappybubblexx.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RIGHT!!!! :D Ugh! I know <3 I never wanted it to end!! Thank you :'D <3 I will definitely be checking it out soon!! Thanks for the recommendation :) Take care :)

      Delete
  3. Both of these books sound so good! One way to cause havoc in a friendship... put a boy in the middle that they both have a crush on haha usually doesn't end well! The thing I love about books like these is even though they aren't real you can take so much away from them, from characters personalities, to lessons to creativity and well it becomes so hard not to get invested in the characters and who they are. Adding to the reading list, I think I've seen Eleanor and Park in stores here and I just love that the authors name is Rainbow haha ;)

    http://rainbow-roseblossom.blogspot.co.nz/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are! :D If you get the chance to read them I definitely recommend them. Right!! haha It never ever ends well, I don't think any guy is ever worth losing a friendship over I would just rather forget the guy. It was one of the things that bugged me about the book but I mean Brianna took him from Sara and she wasn't a great friend either. Exactly :D It's weird how fictional characters can teach you so many great life lessons. Like that quote goes "A reader lives a thousand lives before they die", you really get the experience from them. If you get around to reading it let me know :D Pretty awesome name right! ;)

      Delete
  4. Gutted that I didn't pick Eleanor and Park up when I ordered my holiday books! I took it out of my basket at the last minute. But it sounds brilliant :)
    Ellie,xx
    Elephant stories and more

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you get the chance to place another order I would definitely recommend it, it's a pretty good book, I couldn't get myself to put it down :)

      Delete
  5. The end of Eleanor & Park was so frustrating!! But I love it all the same :) I've never read The Unwritten Rule and it looks interesting, so if I notice it in a library or something, I'll definitely have a read!

    Jess
    http://springbaby06.blogspot.com
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right!! I was like how can she just cut him off like that!! Who does she think she is, after all that Park did for her!?!?!? but then I got to thinking and it all made sense haha. You have to :D it's an easy read and I think you'll really like it. If you end up reading it I'd love to hear what you thought about it :)

      -Crystal
      http://crystallizeddaisies.blogspot.com

      Delete
  6. Oh my god FINALLYYYYY!! I'm so glad you enjoyed Eleanor & Park. I too hated the ending at first but once you start thinking, you get Eleanor and why she didn't write him. It's really understandable and so mature of her. All in all I loved how the story evolved and how Park really cared for her and was so kind towards her. I think it wouldn't be the same if it was other way around. Yeees I need a part two but I don't think our prayers will be heard :((
    Great job on both of the reviews-I really liked them. Now excuse me I need to go borrow The Unwritten Rule ;)

    LEJA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly!! I was like what!? what kind of ending is this!! and I started flipping through the pages just to make sure there wasn't anymore. I was so mad that she just didn't write him back for so long! Then it all made sense to me haha. They were so cute :') I know :'( I doubt they will be heard. They least they can do is make a movie for us just to see them one more time you know. Thank you :) haha Please do so!! and let me know what you think of it :D

      Delete

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS